The Hockey Day in Ward 9 Shinny Hockey Tournament has adopted a traditional shinny hockey format and rules, which are based on basic rules of hockey.
Important points to remember:
- Tournament takes place on Saturday, February 6, 2015 from 9 am – 2 pm
- Each team is made up of four players; 2-players must be 14-years old or older and 2-players who must be 13-years old or younger
- There are no goaltenders (a player can occupy the position but can not wear any goalie equipment or use a goalie stick)
- Raising the puck off the ice is not allowed at any time, except to make a saucer pass to a team mate.
- Violations (hockey penalties + shinny rules) will result in a loss of puck possession with the receiving team taking possession in their own zone. The penalized team will grant them opportunity to exit their zone by not crossing centre ice.
- There will be NO face-off after a goal is scored. The team that was scored upon can rush puck out of their own zone. The team that scored the goal must give their opponent half ice by remaining on their side of centre ice.
- The length of games will vary between 5-10 or 10-15 minutes depending upon the number of teams entered in the tournament
- Each team will play a minimum of two games.
- Colored pinnies or practice hockey jerseys will be provided, however, teams are encouraged to bring their own matching jerseys
- Offside - No passes can be made to players who are behind the defense before the pass is made.This is to prevent net hanging.
Players are allowed to wear the following equipment:
- shin pads
Wearing a hockey helmet is highly recommended although not mandatory.
The final format of the tournament will not be decided until registration closes on February 12, 2015.
The length of games is 10-15 minutes with a five minute warm up before hand.
Each team will play a minimum of two games
Check the website in February for the final tournament format, schedule and information